UPDATE: Toronto Etiquette Project, one week later


One week ago, I hit "Publish" and launched the Toronto Etiquette Project into the world. I emailed the link to a handful of Toronto friends, sent out a few tweets, and continued my day as usual. Since the project was so small and fairly specific (ie. for and about Toronto), I expected that the blog would circulate amongst friends, and that would be that. Little did I know...

After the first two days, the blog had gotten 3500 hits and had coverage on BlogTO, Global Toronto, Treehugger, Newstalk 1010 and CBC Radio 1.

On day 4 (Monday), things went berserk. The project was featured on the cover of the Toronto Star, I had four radio interviews (CBC Radio Metro Morning, 96.9 FM Radio Humber, AM 680 Radio, AM 640 Radio), my first on camera interview on Global TV (at my apartment!), and the hits jumped to 7300.

And since Monday, I had an interview with Post City Magazine, an in-studio interview with Stephen LeDrew at CP24, and 3 minute Q&A interview on CTV News (which got national coverage?) Yesterday, things came proverbially full-circle when I was asked to do a morning interview on CBC Radio Saskatchewan's Morning Edition. I was shocked that the story has somehow made it back to my home province, but so honoured to be able to reconnect with my roots. (Plus, I got to give a shout-out to my grandparents, which made them very happy.)

So, why full-circle? I am very proud of my small town roots, and unbelievably grateful for the support of my family through the last 29 years. I wouldn't be who I am today without them.
They taught me the importance of hard work and discipline.
They taught me to respect others, and respect myself.
And they taught me to say 'please' and 'thank you'.

As the blog surpasses 10,000 hits and 1300+ downloads this morning (just moments ago), I humbly thank everyone for embracing this project. At this point, the numbers don't really matter. It's not about the cards. What matters to me is that there are good people are out there (in Toronto, and everywhere) actively trying to make life better, just by being nicer to our fellow citizens. I think this inspires more hope than any statistic possibly can.

Take care. And thanks.

CR